Back | Home
in memoriam

John P. Sakowski, ’37
Little Falls, N.J.
November 2, 2007
Dr. Sakowski practiced OB/GYN in Bayonne, N.J. Appointments included head of obstetrics at Bayonne Hospital where he also served as a trustee, police surgeon, and president of the Hudson County Medical Society. He was preceded in death by wife Margaret.

Patrick C. Phelan Jr., ’42
Baltimore
January 10, 2008
Upon graduation, Dr. Phelan interned and received residency training in surgery at Mercy Hospital where he served as chief surgical resident for two consecutive terms because of a wartime shortage of surgeons. In 1946, he opened a private practice in general and occupational surgery. Appointments included staff physician at Towson State University and associate instructor in Maryland’s department of anatomy from 1946 to 1951. In the department of surgery he also taught students assigned to Mercy Hospital, an appointment he held into the 1970s. Phelan retired in 1983. He enjoyed reading, gardening and working with stained glass. He was preceded in death by wife Ann and is survived by five children and six grandchildren.

Herbert B. Copeland Jr., ’44
Naples, Fla.
January 7, 2008
Following graduation, Dr. Copeland interned at D.C. General Hospital and received residency training in radiology at Baltimore City Hospital and the VA Hospital in Bronx, New York. In 1951, Copeland joined the staff at Franklin Square Hospital, serving as president of the medical staff from 1970 to 1972. He established a private radiology practice in 1960 where he continued until retirement in January 1993. Copeland served on the faculty at both Maryland and Johns Hopkins and was a past president of Franklin Square’s foundation, assisting in the hospital’s move to Baltimore County in 1970. He also helped develop a radiology technology training program at Essex Community College. Upon retirement he moved to Naples. Copeland enjoyed golf, tennis, and bridge, and he is survived by wife Jeanne, one son, one daughter, one stepson, three stepdaughters, two grandsons, and four step-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by wives Myra and Elaine.

Donald W. Mintzer, ’44

Towson, Md.
February 1, 2008
Dr. Mintzer decided to become a doctor at the age of nine after almost dying from complications of an appendectomy. He interned at Maryland before joining the U.S. Army and was stationed in Korea where he worked in a M.A.S.H. unit. Mintzer completed military service but remained as a captain in the Reserves until 1963. Returning to Maryland, he opened a private practice in general and internal medicine and served on the staffs of St. Agnes, Good Samaritan, GBMC and Church Home and Hospital where he was chief of staff. Mintzer was also a mentor for Maryland medical students in family practice. He provided free physicals for Boy Scouts and athletes in the Hamilton Optimist Recreation Program, and he volunteered at public clinics. In 1995, he reported that he was still practicing 30 hours per week without being “managed,” but he retired in 1996 rather than accept the federal requirement that he use a computer in his practice. Mintzer enjoyed music, poetry, sailing, and fishing. He is survived by wife Gladys, five children, 12 grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

John R. Hankins, ’48

Baltimore
January 1, 2008
Upon graduation, Dr. Hankins stayed at Maryland for a two-year rotating internship, a four-year residency in general surgery, and a two-year residency in thoracic/cardiovascular surgery. From 1954 until 1956, he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps and was stationed in Iran. After being discharged, he returned to Iran on behalf of a secular organization to perform and teach surgery from 1957 to 1962. After receiving board certification in thoracic surgery, Hankins worked for five years as director of general surgery and head of the residency training program in surgery at Avicenna Hospital in Kabul, Afghanistan. He returned to Baltimore in 1969 and was an attending on Maryland’s faculty in thoracic surgery specializing in esophageal cancer until 1986. After retirement, Hankins again traveled to Afghanistan with the International Assistance Mission, serving in Kabul as a consultant and teacher in surgery. He returned to Baltimore for the final time in 1996 to hold a part-time position as regional representative for Interserve/USA, an international, interdenominational Christian mission organization. While on the faculty at Maryland, Hankins was a participant in the Medical Alumni Association annual phonothon in Davidge Hall, and he was a member of the Silver Circle of the John Beale Davidge Alliance, the school’s society for major donors.

Nicholas Mallis, ’48
Timonium, Md.
January 5, 2008
Dr. Mallis remained at Maryland for his internship year after graduation. Residency training followed at Walter Reed Army Hospital where he went on to serve as assistant chief of urology, work he later admitted was the most memorable of his life. Mallis returned to Baltimore, operating a private practice in Southwest Baltimore and serving on the staff at St. Agnes Hospital, where he rose to chief of urology and president of the medical staff. He was also a urology consultant at Maryland General Hospital and an attending physician at Bon Secour Hospital. Mallis retired in 1987 and enjoyed golf, reading, and traveling. He was preceded in death by wife Jean and is survived by two sons and four grandchildren.

Lillian K. Ziegler, ’49
Leesburg, Va.
September 12, 2006
Dr. Ziegler interned at USPHS in Norfolk, Virginia, and received residency training in pediatrics at Children’s Hospital in Washington, D.C. She served her entire career as a staff physician in the department of pediatrics at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, and received a 40-year civil service award. Ziegler enjoyed cooking, and she was preceded in death by husband John.

Jay C. Gore, ’52

Reno, Nev.
November 20, 2007
Dr. Gore served in the U.S. Army during World War II prior to medical school and met his future wife while stationed in England. Upon graduation from medical school, he interned at Riverside Hospital in Toledo and completed residency training in radiology at Harbor General Hospital in Torrance, California. He worked at the Sierra Nevada Medical Center from the 1960s until retirement at the age of 60. During this time he enjoyed riding his motorcycle to his office and to various hospitals. After retirement he moved to a rural environment in Nevada to enjoy riding and roping. He and wife Lilian had seven children and enjoyed their 22 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.

Herbert W. Lapp, ’52
Berkeley Springs, W.Va.
January 21, 2008
Bon Secours Hospital was the site of Dr. Lapp’s training, and he later received fellowship training at the American College of Sports Medicine. He practiced family and sports medicine in Baltimore, serving as president of the medical staff at Bon Secours during the mid 1970s. Lapp earned a certificate of distinguished citizenship from Maryland governor Marvin Mandel and a letter of commendation from U.S. president Richard Nixon in 1970. He retired from private practice in 1983 and served as medical advisory for Maryland disability and rehabilitation service until 1999 when he retired to Berkeley Springs. Lapp enjoyed gardening and fishing, and he and wife Lorraine had three children and two grandchildren.

Norton Spritz, ’52
New York City
November 21, 2007
Dr. Spritz received training at the Cornell Medical Division of Bellevue Hospital in New York City and joined Rockefeller University as an associate professor in 1961. In 1969, he was named professor of medicine at New York University School of Medicine and chief of the medical service at the New York Veterans Administration. His research centered on cholesterol metabolism and later on biochemistry and diabetic neuropathy. But during the 1980s, Spritz became involved with issues of law and medicine fueled by the AIDS epidemic, and in 1987, he received a law degree from Fordham University. Spritz retired from the VA in 1998 but continued as a consultant at NYU, focusing on issues of law and ethics as they applied to medicine. He also held an adjunct faculty position at Fordham University School of Law. In 2002, he received the Medical Alumni Association’s Honor Award Gold Key, presented for outstanding contributions to medicine and distinguished service to mankind. Spritz enjoyed the opera and attending concerts. He is survived by wife Suzon, one daughter, and two granddaughters, and he was preceded in death by his first wife Marilyn, a psychiatrist.

John R. Wilkinson, ’52
Winston Salem, N.C.
January 25, 2008
Dr. Wilkinson attended the University of North Carolina School of Medicine for two years before completing his medical education at Maryland. He served in the Korean War and then practiced internal medicine in Man, West Virginia. Wilkinson later served at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Fayetteville, North Carolina, retiring in 1991. He was preceded in death by wife Pauline and is survived by one stepson.

William N. Karn Jr., ’53

Falmouth, Maine
February 12, 2008
Bon Secours Hospital was the site of Dr. Karn’s internship, followed by residency training in psychiatry at Spring Grove State Hospital. His career was devoted to psychiatric administration, as he served as superintendent and medical director of the Wyoming State Hospital in Evanston for 28 years. Karn was a distinguished life fellow of the APA and maintained an active membership with the Shriners. He retired to Falmouth, Maine, to be with family. Karn was preceded in death by wife Louise and is survived by five children, 13 grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

William Sterling, ’55
Rockville, Md.
December 12, 2007
Dr. Sterling practiced pediatrics in Bethesda, Md., before relocating to Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., where he continued working until retirement several years ago.

Ralph T. Hummel, ’56
Olympia, Wash.
December 7, 2007
Dr. Hummel interned in Dearborn, Michigan, and received residency training in psychiatry at the Menninger Foundation in Topeka, Kansas. Upon completion of training, he moved to Sedro-Woolley, Washington, to work at Northern State Hospital on a National Institute of Mental Health-funded research program, and a few years later relocated to Bremerton where he cofounded the Olympic Center, Washington’s first community mental health center. Hummel moved to Olympia in 1969 where he maintained a private practice until retirement in 2003. In addition to private practice, he worked with Lewis County Mental Health Center, Grays Harbor Mental health Center, Maple Lane School, and the Shelton Corrections Center. At the end of his career, Hummel focused on assisting Vietnam Veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. Self-taught in stringed instruments, Hummel enjoyed playing the fiddle, banjo, guitar, mandolin, and viola in local bands. He enjoyed studying philosophy, ancient history, astronomy, and progressive politics. Survivors include wife, Betty, a therapist who continues his work, and three children.

Stanley Z. Felsenberg, ’59
Baltimore
February 23, 2008
Dr. Felsenberg practiced family medicine in Baltimore and was also deputy medical examiner for Baltimore County. He was a member of the Maryland Air National Guard and in 1984 was promoted to colonel, assigned to the 136th Combat Support Hospital. He was active in the Masonic Fraternity for more than 25 years, serving as national chairman of Americanism for National Sojourners. In 1991, Felsenberg was honored by the Scottish Rite, awarded the Degree of Inspector General Honorary for the 33rd Degree along with actor Ernest Borgnine and U.S. senator Alan K. Simpson of Wyoming. Felsenberg is survived by three daughters and four grandchildren.

Thomas Moshang Jr., ’62
Blue Bell, Pa.
February 24, 2008
Dr. Moshang was a senior physician and former chief of the division of endocrinology at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). He was also an emeritus professor of pediatrics at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Moshang spent 25 years of his career at CHOP and Penn as a distinguished clinician, investigator, and educator. His work in the areas of growth failure and endocrine complications in long-term survivors of childhood cancer was world renowned. Moshang was president-elect of the Lawson Wilkins Pediatrics Endocrine Society. He is survived by wife Dr. Mary Anne Gazdick, four children, and five grandchildren.

Jean M. Jackson, ’67
Waban, Mass.
January 31, 2008
Dr. Jackson interned and received residency training in medicine at Maryland before serving a research fellowship in medicine at the Robert B. Brigham Hospital in Boston from 1970 to 1972. She returned for a chief residency in medicine at Maryland from 1972 to 1973, before serving as chief of Maryland’s division of rheumatology from 1973 to 1975. Jackson returned to Boston where she began a clinical practice at Brigham Hospital, becoming the institution’s first female rheumatolgoist. This was followed by a clinical and teaching career at the hospital and joining the rheumatology program at Children’s Hospital in Boston in 1980. In 2005, she was recognized as an outstanding clinician educator by the hospital’s department of medicine, and she also received the Arthritis Foundation Marian Ropes Physician’s Achievement Award. Jackson was vice president of the Massachuesetts Arthritis Foundation and physician advisor to Scleroderma Association of Massachusetts.

Robert B. Craven, ’70
Fort Collins, Colo.
June 7, 2006
Dr. Craven’s specialty was internal medicine and infectious disease, and he served an infectious disease fellowship at the University of Virginia from 1973 to 1975. He held several positions with the Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Fort Collins, including head of the yellow fever-spotted fever section. He was author or co-author of several articles on pathogenic microbial agents.

Edwin H. Preston, ’99
Silver Spring, Md.
March 4, 2008
Dr. Preston received residency training in surgery at Georgetown University Hospital and served a fellowship there in abdominal transplantation. He was selected in consecutive years as the outstanding resident teacher, and he was co-author of several peer review and invited publications. He is survived by wife Mamie and two sons.

Faculty

Marcia Schmidt, MD
Aurora, Colo.
January 1, 2008
Dr. Schmidt, whose specialty was arthritis and rheumatic diseases, was an assistant professor of medicine in the division of rheumatology and staff physician at the campus health services from 1973 until 1988. Born in Denver and raised in Boulder, Schmidt earned a bachelor’s degree in medical technology from the University of Colorado, before receiving an MD from the University of Florida Medical School in Gainesville in 1967. She arrived at Maryland for internship and residency training in internal medicine, followed by a one-year fellowship. As an assistant professor of medicine in the division of rheumatology, she taught physical diagnosis and rheumatology courses and in 1984 was acting director of the division. She also maintained a private practice at Good Samaritan Hospital. During the 1980s, Schmidt was named to the State of Maryland Governor’s Commission on Arthritis and Related Diseases. She enjoyed cross-stitching, knitting, and playing bridge. Schmidt is survived by husband John Baratta and one son.

Benjamin F. Trump, MD
Baltimore
February 26, 2008
Dr. Trump was chairman of the department of pathology from 1970 until retirement in 1998. He was born in Kansas City, Mo., earning a bachelor’s degree from the University of Missouri and medical degree from the University of Kansas where he interned and received residency training in pathology. He received additional training at the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle. Trump served on the faculties at the University of Washington and Duke University before joining Maryland in 1970. He worked with R Adams Cowley in developing the research program at Shock Trauma, and he ushered in the fields of electron microscopy, immunohistology, human cell and tissue culture, and computer science into the forefront of pathology for both research and patient care at Maryland. Trump later established the medical school’s first doctoral program in pathology, and he was author of more than 300 scientific papers. Trump was a concert pianist and enjoyed fishing and photography. He is survived by wife Elizabeth, two daughters and a grandson. Two other marriages ended in divorce.


Memorial gifts are warmly received by: Medical Alumni Association of the University of Maryland, Inc.
522 West Lombard Street
Baltimore, Maryland, 21201-1636,
or for more information simply call
410.706.7454.
Back | Home