Back | Home


In Memoriam

Marion H. Gillis Jr., ’36
Salisbury, Md.
November 17, 2003
Dr. Gillis served an internship at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore and trained in ophthalmology at Manhattan Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Institute in New York City. During World War II, he served as a member of Maryland’s 142nd General Hospital which served in a number of locations including Fiji for 28 months. He was discharged with the rank of lieutenant colonel. He operated a private practice in Salisbury from 1940 until retirement in the 1980s. Upon retirement, Dr. Gillis began taking advanced math courses at Salisbury University, making him the school’s oldest student. He was an avid boater, played violin and cornet, and was an avid stamp and coin collector. Dr. Gillis was preceded in death by wife Lillian and is survived by one son and three daughters.

Manuel Brown, ’38
Tulsa, Okla.
May 12, 2004
Following graduation, Dr. Brown trained at Washington Hospital in Washington, Pa. He was inducted into the military service in 1941, serving in Ireland, England and France. Dr. Brown was involved in the invasion of Europe and received the Silver Star and all the European Battle ribbons. He was discharged in 1945. He received specialty training in allergy at the University of Illinois and relocated to Tulsa, Okla., where he began practice. He enjoyed playing golf. Dr. Brown is survived by wife Miriam, sons Morris and Jeffrey, both medical doctors, and four grandchildren.

Herman H. Baylus, ’39
Pikesville, Md.
March 1, 2004
Upon graduation, Dr. Baylus trained at Columbia Hospital in Pittsburgh. He returned to Baltimore in 1940 and opened a family practice at Wilkens Avenue and Gilmor Street. During World War II, he became an Army physician and served in England. He returned to Baltimore after the war and maintained a practice until retirement in 1992. Dr. Baylus enjoyed ballroom dancing, portrait photography, was an accomplished billiards player and won the President’s Cup while playing golf at the Chestnut Ridge Country Club. He was preceded in death by wife Charlotte in 2001. He is survived by two sons, three daughters and four grandsons.

R. Louis Gibbs, ’40
Lilburn, Ga.
February 13, 2002
Dr. Gibbs served in the U.S. Army as a captain during World War II, traveling to the Fiji Islands and India. He was a surgeon and, until retirement in 1978, was chief of the surgical service at the Mountain Home Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Johnson City, Tennessee. He was a diplomate of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Gibbs was a member of the First Presbyterian Church and a member of the Kiwanis Club in Johnson City. He enjoyed boating, picnicking, hiking, camping, fishing and reading, and he took yearly vacations with wife Catharine “Kay” and daughter Linda. He liked to sing and play the piano. Dr. Gibbs was preceded in death by wife Catharine, and is survived by daughter Linda and two grandchildren.

C. Louis Jorgensen, ’40
St. George, Utah
September 23, 1998

Edwin L. Seigman, ’41
Rocky Mount, N.C.
March 29, 2004

Warren E. Crane, ’42
Yardley, Pa.
December 29, 2003
World War II interrupted Dr. Crane’s training after graduation when he served as a major in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in the 185th Regiment, 40th Infantry Division from 1943–45. He received a Purple Heart, three Bronze Stars and a Bronze Arrowhead. Dr. Crane interned at St. Francis Hospital in Trenton, N.J. He trained in otolaryngology at the Newark Eye & Ear Infirmary and the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Medicine. In 1948, he established a private practice in Trenton, N.J., where he stayed until 1990. He was the chief attending at St. Francis Medical Center, served on the staff of the Marie Katzenbach School of the Deaf and was a past president of the N.J. Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology. He enjoyed woodworking and reading. Dr. Crane was preceded in death by wife Harriett and is survived by five children, nine grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren.

Charles D. Chaput, ’44
Kingston, N.H.
January 20, 2004
After graduating from medical school Dr. Chaput served in the U.S. Navy, performing training at University of Maryland and Hale Hospital in Haverhill, Mass. He served a residency at Beverly Hospital and a preceptorship in general surgery at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Newport, R.I. In 1951, he opened a private practice in Haverhill and practiced general surgery at Hale, Anna Jacques and Amesbury Hospitals, serving as chief of surgery at both Hale and Anna Jacques. In 1986, Dr. Chaput discontinued surgery and studied geriatric medicine. He played a major role in establishing an Alzheimer unit in Haverhill and served as its medical director. His practice consisted of nursing home patients, and he also made house calls to the elderly. He retired in December 1999. Dr. Chaput was a well-noted photographer and an avid gardener and woodworker. He is survived by wife Marilyn, one son, one daughter and seven grandchildren. He was preceded in death by Jeanette, his first wife.

Lewis B. Thompson, ’44
Marlborough, Mass.
March 4, 2004
Dr. Thompson was assigned to the U.S. Army Medicorps 24th Infantry after graduation and was stationed in the Pacific Theatre. He was discharged in 1947 with the rank of captain. He returned to Massachusetts and practiced surgery at Newton-Wellesley Hospital for more than 40 years. Upon retirement in 1985, Dr. Thompson worked part-time as a company physician for New England Telephone. He was the acting physician for the Newton North High School football team, and he also volunteered with the Boy Scouts and was a Cub Scout master. Dr. Thompson enjoyed sailing, water skiing, ice skating and gardening. He is survived by Natalie, his second wife, three sons, one daughter, four step-daughters, one step-son and 15 grandchildren.

Sara Cook, ’45
Jetersville, Va.

Calvin B. Hearne, ’47
Wilmington, Del.
February 18, 2004
Following graduation from medical school, Dr. Hearne trained in pediatrics at the University of Maryland, Delaware Hospital and St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children (Philadelphia). During the Korean War, he was an Air Force medical officer. Dr. Hearne cared for children in Wilmington and Brandywine for more than 40 years. He served as director of pediatrics at Memorial Hospital in Wilmington, vice president and president of the medical staff of the Wilmington Medical Center, and chairman of the Delaware Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics. He was vice president and president of the Medical Society of Delaware and
president of the Delaware Academy
of Medicine. The Medical Society of Delaware honored him as recipient of its distinguished service award. Dr. Hearne enjoyed planning and driving on sightseeing trips of the country, gardening and visiting with family. He is survived by wife Joyce, three daughters and
one grandson.

John H. Shaw, ’47
Ellicott City, Md.
March 26, 2004
Dr. Shaw trained at St. Agnes Hospital and remained affiliated with that institution for his entire professional career. In 1950, he opened a practice in Catonsville specializing in pediatrics but gradually moved into a general family practice. He served two terms as president of the St. Agnes medical staff and was chief of family practice for its department of family medicine. He disliked HMOs and declined to affiliate with Blue Cross. Rather, he charged a flat fee for his
services—$35 at the time of his retirement in 1995. Dr. Shaw is survived by wife Diane, two sons, one daughter, two stepdaughters and seven grandchildren.

William H. Shea, ’51
Gaithersburg, Md.
January 11, 2004

Aubrey C. Smoot Jr., ’52
Salisbury, Md.
April 21, 2004
Dr. Smoot followed in the footsteps of his father, Aubrey C. Smoot, ’28, by graduating from the University of Maryland. He practiced general medicine in Georgetown until 1961. Dr. Smoot returned to the University of Maryland, completing a residency in ear, nose and throat surgery. He relocated to Salisbury where he practiced until retirement in 1989. He was chief of staff at Peninsula Regional Medical Center, president of the Wicomico County Medical Society where he served as its representative to MedChi. Dr. Smoot enjoyed woodworking, farming and sailing. He is survived by wife Nancy, five children (including Catherine Smoot-Haselnus, ’85) and 11 grandchildren.

Theodore E. Evans, ’54
Baltimore, Md.
May 7, 2004
Following medical school, Dr. Evans served in the U.S. Army at Fort Benning, Ga. He returned to Baltimore and joined Christian Richter, ’41, in a Perry Hall family practice that lasted more than 40 years. Dr. Evans made house calls and was known to accept vegetables as payment from those too poor to pay. He retired in 2000. Dr. Evans was preceded in death by wife Rosemary, and he is survived by five sons and seven grandchildren.

William C. Cohen, ’56
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
May 27, 2003
After an internship at Maryland, Dr. Cohen served residency and was a surgeon in the U.S. Army at Letterman Hospital in San Francisco, treating soldiers from Vietnam. Following completion of his military service in 1967, Dr. Cohen relocated to Broward County where he practiced general surgery. In 1992, he was hired to start Broward County’s trauma hospital network. Dr. Cohen retired in 2002. He is survived by wife Mary, three daughters, one son and five grandchildren.
Cleat E. Laney, ’60
Austin, Tex.
December 16, 2002

Jerome J. Mahoney, ’61

Reno, Nev.
February 25, 2004
Dr. Mahoney served in the U.S. Air Force for 12 years, stationed in Korea and Japan. In 1974, he moved from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California to Reno where he practiced Ob/Gyn for 30 years. He enjoyed flying, golf, reading and spending time at a second home in Lake Almanor. Dr. Mahoney is survived by wife Betty.

Arnold J. Hoffman, ’63
Kilauea, Hawaii
February 5, 2004

Harold F. Shuster, ’67
Bozman, Md.
March 5, 2004
Prior to medical school, Dr. Shuster served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps, received an MS in engineering mechanics from Columbia University and was a Gilman Fellow in the department of mechanics at Johns Hopkins University. Upon graduation from Maryland, he received surgical training in Oakland, Calif., and was an orthopaedic resident at Stanford-Lane Medical Center in San Francisco. Dr. Shuster served as chief of orthopaedic surgery at Germantown Hospital and Medical Center in Philadelphia from 1980–94 and was emeritus chief from 1995–2001. For more than a decade he enjoyed metal sculpting, creating sculptures and functional art by blending engineering and nature. He also became an avid sailor. Dr. Shuster is survived by wife Ginny, one daughter, two sons and three grandchildren.

Harvey M. Tompakov, ’71
Ocala, Fla.
May 14, 2004
Dr. Tompakov interned at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in Greater Miami and served a residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was a lifetime member of the American Academy of Family Physicians. Survivors include wife Virginia, one son, one daughter, and one stepson. He is also survived by his father, Samuel, ’40.

Faculty

John A. Grant, MD
Chestertown, Md.
April 12, 2004
Born and raised in Hanover, Pa., Dr. Grant earned a bachelor’s degree from Gettysburg College and was a 1957 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Medical School. He trained at Church Home and Hospital and the University of Maryland, and he earned a master’s degree in public health from Johns Hopkins University in 1969. He joined Maryland’s faculty in the department of pediatrics in 1970 and was an associate professor in the department of population and family health at Johns Hopkins. In 1972, Dr. Grant became a health officer for Kent County and five years later Caroline County was added to his responsibilities. He retired last year. Dr. Grant enjoyed hunting, fishing and woodcarving, and he collected LGB model trains. He is survived by wife Betty Ann, two sons and two grandsons. His marriage to the former Jane Cadwell ended in divorce.

Robert G. Grenell, MD
Baltimore, Md.
March 17, 2004
Dr. Grenell received a master’s degree from New York University and a doctorate in anatomy in 1943 from the University of Minnesota. During World War II, he was an instructor at Yale University, conducting research on problems of high-altitude physiology experienced by pilots. From 1947–48, he conducted research in medical physics at the University of Pennsylvania with the E. R. Johnson Foundation. He arrived in Baltimore in 1948, joining the Jenkins Department of Biophysics at Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Grenell was asked to help establish the psychiatric institute at Maryland in 1950 and later became director of its neurobiology section, a post he held until retirement in 1987. He was president of the Society of Biological Psychiatry and founder and editor of the Journal of Neuroscience Research. He served as associate editor of the Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease and was a fellow of the American Association for Advancement of Sciences. Dr. Grenell was an accomplished pianist and enjoyed attending concerts and the symphony. He also had an extensive collection of Asian artwork. He is survived by wife Dena.
Back | Home