Back | Home
in memoriam
 

Paul Schenker, ’26
Baltimore
October 26, 2009
At age 106, Dr. Schenker was the medical school’s oldest living graduate. Upon graduation, he received a one-year rotating internship followed by two years of surgical residency training at West Baltimore General Hospital. Schenker operated a private surgical practice and was on the staffs at Sinai and Doctors hospitals until retirement from private practice4 in 1964. In the mid 1930s he also served as coroner for Baltimore City. After retiring, Schenker worked for the Veteran’s Administration for nearly 25 years, becoming fully retired in 1989. In 2008, he received a lifetime achievement award from the medical school during its spring commencement exercises. A short time later a scholarship was established at the medical school in his honor. Schenker enjoyed fishing, gardening, card games, and was a ham radio operator. He was preceded in death by wife Marion and is survived by two daughters, four grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.

Samuel E. Einhorn, ’35
Highland Park, N.J.
November 24, 2009

Dr. Einhorn’s private practice was interrupted during World War II when he served as a physician in the U.S. Army. He specialized in diabetes and tuberculosis during a career spanning six decades. He retired to Lantana, Fla. In 2002, the Einhorn family established a scholarship in honor of their father, awarded to a first-year medical student who best exemplifies his character through superior academic performance, a determination to succeed, and a commitment to compassionate patient care. He had turned 100 years old last February and is survived by wife Patricia, two sons, one daughter, and four grandchildren.

Irving V. Glick, ’40
Great Neck, N.Y.
April 17, 2009

Dr. Glick received orthopaedic residency training at Bellevue Hospital in New York City, and in 1944 served as a major in the U.S. Army Medical Corps assigned as an orthopaedic surgeon to several military hospitals. He became among the first to use bone grafting in reconstructive surgery, and he remained in the military until the end of World War II. Returning to New York, he established a private practice and served as clinical professor of orthopaedic surgery at the NYU School of Medicine. Glick was tournament physician for the U.S. Open Tennis Championships for more than 25 years and was responsible for establishing its medical department which became the model for tennis tournaments around the world. In 1991, he was named tournament physician emeritus. Glick founded and chaired the US Tennis Association Sports Medicine Advisory Committee in 1980, during which time sports medicine and tennis medicine in particular became a recognized sub-specialty. Glick served as the International Tennis Federation medical representative to the Olympic games in Seoul (1988) and Barcelona (1992). He also served as team physician for the New Jersey Nets and St. John’s University basketball teams. Glick was the recipient of numerous awards and became an inductee into the US Tennis Association Eastern Tennis Hall of Fame as well as the St. John’s University Hall of Fame. For his contributions to women’s tennis, Glick became the inaugural recipient of an annual award given by the Women’s Tennis Association that now bears his name. He retired from private practice in 1999 and for a while served as a consulting orthopaedic surgeon at ProHEALTH Care Associates in Lake Success. Glick is survived by wife Tommie, two children, and three grandchildren.

James E. Stoner Jr., ’43M
August 20, 2009
Walkersville, Md.

Dr. Stoner trained at Garfield Memorial Hospital in Washington, D.C., and entered the U.S. Army in 1944 during World War II. After two years of military service, he began private practice specializing in general medicine and geriatrics. He was on the staff at Frederick Memorial Hospital and remained in practice until 1994. Stoner was an active member of the Walkersville Fire Department and served on the town council and Walkersville F&M Bank board. He enjoyed fishing, hunting, golfing, gardening and playing cards, and one of his greatest loves was jazz. Stoner is survived by wife Liza, four daughters, five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

S. Malone Parham, ’45
Henderson, N.C.
September 22, 2009

Upon graduation, Dr. Parham served his military duties as a flight surgeon with the 14th Air Force during World War II before returning to Maryland for his training in OB/GYN. He returned to his hometown of Henderson in 1952 where he operated a private OB/GYN practice until retirement in 1986. He was credited with founding and supervising the Vance County Health Department Prenatal and Postpartum Clinics, subsequently known as the County Family Planning Clinic. He enjoyed golf and traveling. Parham was preceded in death by wife Mary Louisa and son S. Malone Jr., and he is survived by three children five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

Charles A. Hefner, ’46
Roanoke, Va.
September 21, 2009

Youngstown Hospital in Youngstown, Ohio, was the site of both Dr. Hefner’s internship and residency training in internal medicine. From 1947 to 1949, he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in Germany, before relocating to Roanoke where he established a private practice and was a clinical assistant professor at the University of Virginia. He retired in 2002. He enjoyed trips to the beach and holiday gatherings and social events with family and friends. Hefner is survived by wife Donna, one daughter, and one grandson.

Rennert M. Smelser, ’48
Lutherville, Md.
September 29, 2009

Dr. Smelser interned at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore and received surgical training at Union Memorial Hospital. Afterwards he was a fellow and graduate student in surgery at the University of Pennsylvania. He was a member of the house staffs at both Union Memorial and the University of Pennsylvania, associations which he described as the most rewarding of his career. He retired in 1986. Smelser enjoyed ornithology and herpetology, illustration and fine art training. Smelser is survived by wife Elizabeth.

 

 

David Owens, ’54
San Diego, Calif.
June 19, 2009

Dr. Owens attended medical school on the GI Bill, having served in the U.S. Army Infantry during World War II from 1943 to 1945. He was recipient of the Silver Star Medal, Combat Infantry Badge, Presidential Unit Citation, European, African, and Middle Eastern service medals and five Bronze Stars. Owens was involved in major battles in Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes, and Central Europe. Upon medical school graduation, he trained at Bon Secours Hospital and for three years operated a general practice in Sparrows Point. He moved to Vacaville, Calif., in 1958 to serve as physician and surgeon at the California Department of Corrections where he was promoted to chief medical officer in 1960. In 1963, Owens began a psychiatric residency at Napa State Hospital in Imola before becoming senior psychiatrist at the California Medical Facility in Vacaville and later at the California Institute for Women in Frontera. He later moved to San Diego for a psychiatric position with the county’s mental health services where he established a continuing care program for discharged psychiatric patients. In 1978, he began in private practice but continued holding clinics at various care facilities and hospitals. He was a clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego. In 1998, Owens was named San Diego Clinician of the Year and in 2009 was honored by Sharp Mesa Vista for his years of dedicated service in the treatment of the mentally ill in San Diego. Owens enjoyed traveling to Hawaii and gardening. He is survived by wife Diana.

Norman W. Lavy, ’55
Westfield, N.J.
October 7, 2009

Maryland was the site of Dr. Lavy’s rotating internship, followed by one year as an assistant resident in medicine at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. Lavy then spent two years as a flight surgeon with the U.S. Air Force. He completed training in medicine at Indiana University Medical Center in Indianapolis before serving one-year post-doctoral fellowships in medical genetics and microbiology at Western Reserve University. In 1966, he began as director of professional services for E.R. Squibb & Sons and rose to vice president for drug regulatory affairs, a post he held from 1977 to 1987. Lavy was commissioner for the U.S. Congress Commission on the Federal Drug Approval Process from 1981 to 1982 and held top positions with the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association. From 1969 to 1999, he was clinical associate professor of medicine at UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Brunswick. He spent considerable time at his vacation home in Martha’s Vineyard and enjoyed sailing. Lavy is survived by wife Marion and brother Richard, ’60. He was preceded in death by son Roger.

Richard K.B. Ho, ’57
Honolulu, Hawaii
May 14, 2009

While in medical school, Dr. Ho was a contestant on the Big Pay-Off show and won prizes and travel to Europe. Maryland was the site of his internship, and he relocated to Hawaii for pediatrics residency training at Children’s Hospital. From 1960 to 1996, Ho practiced pediatrics and served as an assistant clinical professor at the University of Hawaii. He was also director for Hawaii Poison Control and chief of pediatrics for Hawaii Hospitals. Ho enjoyed golf and served as a regional committee representative for the U.S. Golf Association. He is survived by wife Anita, four children, and five grandchildren.

Marvin N. Goldstein, ’64
Rochester, N.Y.
August 16, 2008

Dr. Goldstein was a resident in neurology at the University of Rochester and later served on active duty with the U.S. Navy at the Bethesda Naval Hospital where he was assigned to the neurology service. He returned to Rochester where he was in private practice until retirement in 2004. He then worked at a local clinic. Goldstein is survived by wife Athene, one son, one daughter, and four grandchildren.

Kenneth R. Koskinen, ’66
Fayetteville, N.C.
September 10, 2009

Dr. Koskinen served in the U.S. Air Force after training in pediatrics at Maryland which included a year as chief resident as well as a one-year fellowship in pediatric psychiatry. His 26-year military career took him to England and Germany and back to Andrews Air Force Base in Washington, D.C., where he last served as a consultant to the surgeon general and chief physician for Andrews Medical Center. Returning to civilian life, Koskinen taught residents at St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore before becoming the first pediatrician at Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Harford County. Most recently he served in the emergency department at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center in Fayetteville, N.C., where he was recipient of the Golden Stethoscope Award. In his free time, Koskinen enjoyed tinkering with automobiles. He is survived by wife Deborah and four children including Sean, ’97.

Faculty
Davood Badie, MD
Bel Air, Md.
October 15, 2009

Dr. Badie was an instructor in the pediatric clinic at Maryland from 1967 to 1972. He was the son of a farm owner in Mazandaran Province, Iran. Badie earned his medical degree from the University of Tehran in 1955 and moved to England five years later. In 1961, he immigrated to Baltimore and the following year began a rotating internship at Maryland General Hospital, followed by residency training in pediatrics at Maryland. During residency he traveled to California to work at the City of Hope, treating children with cancer. He established a practice in Bel Air in 1968 and enjoyed privileges at St. Joseph Medical Center, Greater Baltimore Medical Center, and Franklin Square Hospital Center. He retired in 1995. Badie enjoyed walking and travel, and he was an avid Baltimore Orioles and Ravens fan. He is survived by wife E. Jeanne, one son, two daughters, and one granddaughter.

Kurt Glaser, MD
Sykesville, Md.
November 13, 2009

Dr. Glaser was an associate professor of pediatrics and assistant professor of psychiatry at Maryland from 1954 to 1965. He attended medical school at the University of Vienna but left for Switzerland to flee the Nazis in 1938, completing his medical education at the University of Lausanne in 1939. He immigrated to America and in 1941 completed internship training at St. Mary’s of Nazareth Hospital in Chicago, followed by residency training at Jewish Hospital and General Hospital, both in Louisville, Ky. He received additional residency training in pediatrics at Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee and Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago. Glaser had teaching stints at both the University of Illinois Chicago College of Medicine and Hadassah University Hospital in Jerusalem before arriving at Maryland in 1954. In addition to the two faculty appointments at Maryland, Glaser headed the school’s mental hygiene clinic for children from 1957 to 1961. Professional appointments included clinical director for the Rosewood Center in Owings Mills, director of adolescent services at Springfield Hospital Center in Sykesville, assistant professor in pediatrics and psychiatry at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and staff psychiatrist at Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital. Glaser enjoyed travel, reading, and attending performances at Center Stage. Survivors include four sons, 13 grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by wife Susanne.


Memorial gifts are warmly received by: Medical Alumni Association of the University of Maryland, Inc.
522 West Lombard Street
Baltimore, Maryland, 21201-1636,
or for more information simply call
410.706.7454.
Back | Home